Click on any image to see a larger version.
'Specials' in this instance does not refer to the one off, personal creations that so many owners have built but rather to those small, limited production runs of GT550's made to fit a specific marketing opportunity.
1971R / Prototype
Not a 'special' in the sense of it being a limited production, but special as it was the first.
- Flattened lower edge of headlamp lamp (as with GT 750 J)
- Instrument housing without rubber caps as glare protection (as in the very early 380s models)
- Tachometer shaft without metal sheath
- Exhaust system without ECTS
- Problematic carburettor tuning
- Test riders reported miserable driving behaviour with pronounced "shimmy" effect
- Colour: probably only in Candy Yellow painted (Suzuki colour code 176). The narrow white stripes as with the "J" are missing
Paul Dunstall first produced one of his seat/fairing combinations for the GT550 in 1975. In 1976 he was offering conversion kits for the GT750, GT550 and the GT380 which included a fibreglass tank cover with blended seat,rear fender, and separate sport front fairing, as well as a handle bar mounted fairing for the GT250. The Heron Suzuki GB line-up shown below was offered in 1976. Production stopped in 1977.Back to Top